Spalding is known to have been occupied at least since the Roman period with evidence of salt works found in several areas. The name is derived from the local tribe Spaldingas and may well have maintained it administrative independence as part of Mercia.
Clan Spalding is a Highland Scottish clan and sept of Clan Murray. The clan does not have a chief recognised by the Lord Lyon King of Arms so the clan is considered an Armigerous clan. The Spalding family lived in Perthshire, Scotland, for several hundred years before 1745, and dispersed to Germany, Sweden, Jamaica, Georgia, Liverpool, Virginia and elsewhere. The Castle of Ashintully was the clan centre in Perthshire.
This name takes its origin from the town of Spalding, Lincolnshire where the original family members held land as reward for their support for William at the Battle of Hastings. They held land under tenancy from Baron Randolph Mechin Earl of Chester. The Spalding family originated in Flanders, the old home of many East Anglicans of Britain. The first written records concerning Spalding was a Charter issued in 716 A.D. by King Ethelbald to the Monks of Crowland Abbey. Another charter written in 868 A.D. referred to Spaldelying.
Spalding began as a division town of the fens and marshes of East Anglia. It was founded at the point where a road ran over the low country to the Wash. "Yng" is a Celtic word for fen or low meadow-land; today, the fens are still known as "ungs." Spalding was one of the Saxon divisions of the county known as "the Spalda." The Saxon suffix "ing" from the Teutonic "ingoz" denotes sons of a family or tribe; thus, the people who lived in Spalding were known as the "Spaldingas" or the Spalding tribe. In the Doomsday Book prepared for William the Conqueror after 1066, Spalding is spelled "Spallinge." In Latin, Spall or Spald means "the shoulder." The town of Spalding of Saxon derivation means literally: "the tribe who live at the shoulder" (marsh or swamp dwellers).
The Spalding tribe were known to have held land in South Holland in the 7th century, part of a Saxon Kingdom. The "Doomsday Survey," showed Holland to be an area of large villages concentrated in the fens. The town early became a market center with two important industries: salt making and fisheries. The Manor of Spalding before the Norman Conquest belonged to the King's Geld. William, Duke of Normandy and future King of England, although he confiscated most land belonging to Anglo-Saxon nobles, didn't touch land belonging to any of his feudal tenants in Spalding. The Manor of Spalding, however, which had belonged to Algar, Earl of Mercia, was conferred upon the Duke's nephew, Ivo Talbois, and became the Duchy of Lancaster.
The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Gilbert de Spaldingis, which was dated 1175, in the Pipe Rolls of Lincolnshire, during the reign of King Henry 11, known as 'The Builder of Churches', 1154 - 1189.
Further early recordings include Ralph de Spalding, 1273. Judge Charles Warren Spalding, author of "The Spalding Memorial," obtained a copy of an ancient deed naming him. When Edward III in 1327 ordered a wool merchant to be elected to Parliament for York, William de Spalding, son of Richard de Spalding, was elected for the borough or county. The Parliament of 1376 held at Westminster held both William and John Spalding.
In later centuries, Spaldings went north into Scotland and west into central England, moving into both Suffolk and Norfolk. They settled around Bury St. Edmunds, Framlingham, and in the valley of the Waveney River. Thomas Spalding was named in the will of John Spalding, yeoman, of Wissett, county of Suffolk, proved Dec. 10, 1659. William & Anna Rutherford, authors of "Genealogical History of Our Ancestors," offered the wills of the Suffolk & Norfolk Spalding’s in their two volume genealogy as possible ancestors of Thomas Spalding, our Maryland progenitor.
The first of this surname recorded in Scotland is believed to be Radulphus de Spalding who, in 1225, was witness to the signing of a charter of the mill of Caterline in Kincardineshire The name is also recorded in Scotland in 1294, when John de Spaldyn, ‘Magister’ (Master) witnessed a grant of lands in Aberdeen. Another Spalding is mentioned as a canon of Elgin Cathedral around 1300. He is probably John de Spauyding, who petitioned Edward I of England in 1304 for timber to build his church at Duffus.
The Spaldings came to prominence in 1318 at the siege of Berwick by Robert the Bruce. The story goes that Peter de Spalding, a burgess of Berwick, hated the English governor, and aided the besiegers in taking the town. He was rewarded by Bruce in May 1319 with the lands of Ballourthye and Pitmachie in Angus. He was also granted the keepership of the royal forest of Kylgerry. In 1587 the Spaldings appear in an act of the Parliament of Scotland as a clan for whom their chief, chieftain or captain, would be held responsible.
The principal family were the Spaldings of Ashintully . Ashintully was originally built by Andrew Spalding in 1583 as a fortified tower house or fortalice, with the plunder that resulted from his clan’s support of the King of Spain in the Dutch Revolt. The castle and grounds are rich in history and legend and were the scenes of murder and mayhem in the 16th and 17th centuries. It is also reputed that Robert Roy MacGregor often stopped at Ashintully as a guest of the Spaldings and the 'Rob Roy’ room remains to this day. Its early history was turbulent; it provided refuge for Rob Roy MacGregor and later for Jacobite insurgents whose cause the Spalding clan staunchly supported.
Even today its location in Strathardle is remote from metalled roads and difficult of access. In the 18th century the property passed into the possession of Roger Aytoun, whose descendants remained there until forced to sell the property in 1948; shortly before then, a member of the family took this historic photograph. Ashintully was remodelled a number of times, notably in 1830, gradually assuming the more genteel character of a country house as peace descended on the Highlands
John Spalding was a lawyer and commissary clerk of Aberdeen in the reign of Charles I. He is the author of a famous historical work, Memorials of the troubles in Scotland and England from 1624 to 1645. His work was originally available only in manuscript form and was first printed in 1792, then reprinted in 1829. An antiquarian society known as The Spalding Club was founded and named in his honour.
In 1318, Peter Spalding helped followers of Robert the Bruce enter and seize the town of Berwick from the English. He was English and a burgess of the town, but he was married to a cousin of Sir Robert Keith, Marshall of Scotland. He was granted lands by Bruce on 1 May 1319 in Ballourthy and Petmethy in Forfarshire (now Angus), together with the Keepership of the Royal Forest of Kilgerry. He also received a flag with a gate upon it, having a portcullis half raised, and the motto "Nobile Servitium".
In 1576, Colonel David Spalding led members of his clan to fight in Flanders for the King of Spain. After 7 years, with the resulting plunder, he built Ashintully Castle, 1 km (0.62 mi) to the southeast of Whitefield Castle, which served as the mode for his buildingl.
In 1615, David "Dēas" Spalding started the first regular Highlands market place: "Michael Mass Fair". In Gaelic he was called "Daidh Dēas". Dēas required half-a-dozen English words to give the full meaning - ever, or very restless, ready, brave, wise, etc. Dēas means south, and is a relic of Druid sun-worship. Everything if south or sunwards was perfect.
But 200 years later, another David Spalding, also Laird of Ashintully, was remembered much more harshly. "He condemned and executed many most unrighteously, particularly a man of the name of Duncan, who was drowned in a sack in what is still called 'Duncan's Pool.'"
During the early 18th century, the family followed the Jacobite cause, lost its lands, and dispersed. Over the years, offshoots of the original Spalding’s of Berwick migrated to Aberdeen, Perthshire, Edinburgh, Germany, Sweden, Jamaica, Liverpool, Virginia and Georgia. At least three books have been written about them, by the branches in Germany, Liverpool and Georgia. The Aberdeen branch might be related to the well-known historical society the "Spalding Club" established in 1839. Ashintully Castle, now a 3,000-acre sheep ranch and Bed&Breakfast, has been visited by Spaldings from these places and more.
The ghost at Ashintully Castle (above) is that of ‘Crooked Davie’, who haunts the drive to the castle. Davie was employed by the Spaldings as a messenger and despite his deformed back, was fast on his feet. On one occasion, he was sent to Edinburgh with a very important message. Davie had a sweetheart at Ashintully, one of the maids, so he was even more keen than usual to hurry back. In fact, he made it to Edinburgh and back within the same day. Returning to Ashintully, he was so exhausted he fell asleep by the fire in the great hall as he waited Spalding’s return. When the laird did arrive home, he spotted David fast asleep with papers hanging out of his pocket. In a rage, thinking he had not yet set out for Edinburgh, he slew him on the spot. It turned out the papers were, in fact, the answer to Spalding’s letter. The specter of ‘Crooked Davie’ is said to wander along the lanes around Ashintully, seeking revenge on the Spalding family. A third phantom associated with the castle is that of a tinker, supposedly with the name of Robertson. He arrived on the grounds one day and the laird had him hanged on the Dule Tree for trespassing. Before he died, the tinker cursed the family, saying the Spaldings of Ashintully would die out. His spirit is still seen on occasion.
Wykeham Chapel near Spalding
Private chapel, now ruin. 1311, late C18, late C19. Limestone ashlar, some red brick patching. Nave and chancel in one. Moulded plinth and string course, regularly placed 4 stage buttresses with south west polygonal stair turret with slit lights. West front with large pointed window with slender nook shafts and hood mould, now blocked with brick. Outline of building formerly attached to west after the window was blocked; with rectangular window to right breaking into original window opening, with ashlar gabled wall above. Rectangular blocked window and doorway with Caernarvon head to right. Various corbels below. North side with 3 large pointed windows alternating with buttresses; that to the right, blocked; those to the left each with 3 lights and intersecting tracery. East end with large pointed window with flanking buttresses and sill band; nook shafts, hood mould and fragmentary tracery in head. Low late C19 ashlar walls run to east enclosing private graveyard, with wrought iron railing, and gateway to south. South side of chapel with doorway to left with pointed head, continuously moulded surround of 2 orders, and wrought iron gate. 3 large pointed windows above; that to left, blocked; that in centre with reticulated tracery and 3 ogee headed lights; and that to right with 3 pointed lights and intersecting tracery. Small rectangular opening in bay to left. Interior with east and west windows with nook shafts and hood moulds. East window flanked by ornate, crocketed and finialled single niches with flanking pinnacles. South-west pointed doorway to stair turret, with continuous chamfered surround. Above south doorway is a shelf with various fragments sculpted with shields. Gable outlines above east and west gables. Built for Prior Hatfield of Spalding as a private chapel for his country house. Scheduled as Ancient Monument No. 45.
In the Domesday Book Survey of 1086, Earl Algar and Ivo Talbois held Spalding. The latter was Lord of Spalding, and nephew of William the Conqueror. Before being granted Spalding, his domains were in Angers, in Calvados, Normandy. He became the Sheriff of Lincoln, which he ruled with much pomp from his Castle at Spalding. The Lord of Spalding’s dispute with the monks of Crowland which erupted in 1070 was continued by his successors until the 15th century. Lord Spalding had many other lands in the north, particularly in Lancashire and Westmorland. The Spalding Name The Spalding family originated in Flanders, the origin of many East Anglians of Britain. The surname Spalding appeared quite early in English history derived from the town of Spalding in Lincolnshire. The first written record concerning Spalding was a charter issued in 716 A.D. by King Athelbald to the monks of Crowland Abbey. Another charter written in 868 A.D. referred to Spaldelying. Spalding began as a division town of the fens and marshes of East Anglia, and was founded at the point where a road ran over the low country to the Wash. “Yng” is a Celtic word for fen or low meadow-land. Spalding was one of the Saxon divisions of the county known as “the Spalda.” The Saxon suffix “ing” from the Teutonic “ingoz” denotes sons of a family or tribe, thus, the people who lived in Spalding were known as the “Spaldingas” or the Spalding tribe. In the doomsday book in 1085/6, Spalding is spelled “Spallinge.” In Latin, Spall or Spald means “the shoulder.” The town of Spalding of saxon derivation means literally: “the tribe who live at the shoulder (of marsh land).” The Spalding tribe were known to have held land in South Holland in the 7th century. The “Doomsday Survey,” showed Holland to be an area of large villages concentrated in the fens. The town became a market centre with two important industries: salt making and fisheries. The Manor of Spalding before the Norman Conquest belonged to the king’s geld (a tax paid to the Crown by landholders). William Duke of Normandy and King of England confiscated most land belonging to Anglo-Saxon nobles, but didn’t touch land belonging to any of his feudal tenants in Spalding. The Manor of Spalding which had belonged to Algar, Earl of Mercia, was conferred upon the Duke’s nephew, Ivo Talbois.